20110221

Our manifesto (draft?)

This is the manifesto I have written after our morning meeting, the discussion and the ideas we shared about it. I tried to summarize the general ideas (I put them in the parenthesis)we had in a shorter phrase which each one of us will analyze later.
I do not know if you like the idea of the game metaphor. We can change it if you don t agree :-)
     Feel free to edit, suggest, etc,etc. In my notes I only have 5 general points, so I added one that I remember Zafeira suggested about the aim of our project (if it is only for the beauty, etc.). I am not sure I remember it correctly, so Zafeira?

The _code unknown manifesto

1.       1.The most promising games are those which seem simple, but have complexity as a hidden element. (the user is not aware of what is happening in the background, potentials).

2.       2.Without our programs and tools, we cannot play. (Our digital artwork is inextricably connected to the programs we are using, which are these programs, why we use them, etc)

3.     3.  Playtime is realtime and it never ends. (Realtime output: endless connection between the programs used.)

4.       4.We don’t like playing alone. (through interactivity we all are involved in a creative game, dialogue between user, artist, artwork, the artist cannot produce the final result it depends from each user’s creativity)

5.       5.We don't play only for the joy. 

6.     6.  Successfully designed games affect the participant’s perception. (Touch, vision, hearing. How we extend their thoughts/feelings, surprise)

I
S
 

7 comments:

  1. have prepared something for the sphere,not ready yet.we speak after my DMP lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it could be also instead of play/game, create/artwork if the concept of the play is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree in a certain degree with what is already written, but this is what I was thinking :

    _AGENCY
    (the user/spectator is free to act and to make decisions)
    _REAL-time output
    (the user/spectator isn't aware of what's happening/seamless connection between the programs we're using)->but still he is able to manipulate them
    _UNEXPECTED rEsults(maybe the element of surprise)
    (the artist(or user or spectator) cannot guess or guide the result, it depends on the decisions made)[this part I think has to do with the element of "gaming" also:you do sth and you expect some kind of an answer/obvious result]
    _Cross-platform development/design
    (we've been using multiple programs to create our final result)
    _MULTI-sensory results(hear, touch, see)
    _complExity as an ingredient
    (potentials of design, potentials of output, potentials of result)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you agree :-) what you write above is similar in a way to what I have already written to the manifesto, but in the parenthesis. I just supposed it would be a good idea to have more clear and creative titles to make our manifesto more special and useful introduction to others that are not familiar with our project.More complex terms like agency, cross platform development etc can be used later in the analysis of each point, so that they will be better explained.As you also say, the element of the game has to do with the unexpected but I believe it has also to do with the other points of our manifesto,that' s why I came up with this concept. I think it's quite creative! Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me, that the ideas put so far share the same fundamentals such as user interaction, provocations of human senses, complexity etc. I guess we have to reconsider about the form of the final product: artwork, game metaphor or maybe both? For sure, human interaction presupposes a sort of game, but to my point of view we are heading towards an art outcome with potentials of different interpretations. Could these be realised through a game development? Moreover, different interpretations exclude a product of pure beauty. Yet, the way in which they are going to be suggested (ex. by causing positive thoughts or feelings) is an other issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true that the ideas put so far share the same fundamentals, as we all discussed and agreed to these yesterday morning :-) I didn' t really understand your point about pure beauty though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we should keep the concept less about the game and more about the act of creation and discovery. In the manifesto I think we need to discuss the different aspects of our project we decided on yesterday. I thought our bullet points were concise and represented a clear direction for the written portion. Let's divide them up so we can individually respond to one, and then combine them for the final manifesto.

    ReplyDelete